8 Things to Know About the Taxpayer Advocate Service
1. TAS is Your Voice at IRS. The Taxpayer Advocate Service, or TAS, is your voice at the IRS. We are an independent organization within the IRS.
2. TAS Helps Resolve Problems. TAS helps individuals, businesses and exempt organizations who are not able to resolve their tax problems with the IRS. Our service is always free. TAS can help if:
- Your problem is causing financial difficulty for you, your family, or your business.
- You, your business or your organization is facing an immediate threat of adverse action.
- You have tried repeatedly to contact the IRS but no one has responded. We will also help if the IRS has not responded by the date promised.
3. Taxpayer Bill of Rights. The IRS has adopted a Taxpayer Bill of Rights that includes 10 basic rights that every taxpayer has when interacting with the IRS:
- The right to be informed.
- The right to quality service.
- The right to pay no more than the correct amount of tax.
- The right to challenge the IRS’s position and be heard.
- The right to appeal an IRS decision in an independent forum.
- The right to finality.
- The right to privacy.
- The right to confidentiality.
- The right to retain representation.
- The right to a fair and just tax system.
4. TAS Protects Your Rights. TAS protects taxpayers’ rights by ensuring that the IRS treats all taxpayers fairly and that you know and understand your rights. Our taxpayer rights web page can help you understand what these rights mean to you and how they apply.
5. TAS on the Web Toolkit Can Help. The TAS Tax Toolkit atTaxpayerAdvocate.irs.gov explains common tax issues. It also offers self-help videos and documents. You can use the site’s information to solve your tax problem or help you understand it when you work with the IRS and your tax preparer.
6. Report a Problem that Affects Many Taxpayers. TAS also handles large-scale or “big picture” problems that affect many taxpayers. You can report these issues at www.irs.gov/sams.
7. TAS in Every State. We have offices in every state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Your local advocate’s number is in your local directory and attaxpayeradvocate.irs.gov. You can also call us at 877-777-4778.
8. TAS on Social Media. Keep up with us via social media:
IRS YouTube Videos: